Sunday, July 10, 2011

art therapy, reiki and drumming

Intention is the most vital part of Reiki.

While I strike my hand drum or beat my djembe, I hold the intention for the client to find his/her own rhythm on the drum. I 'hold the space' for them so to speak. Once they have gotten into their 'groove', I explore if it is the right time to silence my drum while holding the original intention. If it is beneficial that I strike my drum again to continue to hold the intention I may do that, provided of course I feel the approval of the 'partner'. When I sense that the client is waiting/hoping for me to join I will also immediately do that and thus we get a "conversation' going.

Thus we come to the perfect essence of improvisation!

From this activity we can bring our feelings into painting or clay modelling.

I recently did this with a young man on the autism spectrum, with quite stunning results such as speaking a full sentence, making sounds during his drumming. Beaming smiles and energized happy body language.

We will continue further in this exploration of communication.
Try it, everyone and everything has rhythm!

No comments:

Post a Comment